Our Top Pick – Best Winter Boots For Plantar Fasciitis
We have found the best winter boots for plantar fasciitis, and our top pick is the Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden II Boot for women and Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot for men. Both are made from durable leathers that will keep your feet warm and dry during the cold winter months. They also offer the perfect combination of function and style.
Read on for more information, or click the link below to read more reviews on Amazon.
Here are the Best Winter Boots that we have included in our review
Plantar Fasciitis can cause severe discomfort and pain, especially on the bottom of your feet and heel. However, for most people who have a history with such a condition, this gets worse during winter. Why? Well, the answer is not what you think.
Usually, people blame their extreme pain in the cold and wet environment. But that’s unlikely. If you have plantar fasciitis, you’d actually benefit from the cooling rather than heating. What is causing the problem is the stress your feet are experiencing when walking through snow. See, even the activities you usually do every day can cause you pain during the winter season.
But other than the outdoor conditions, another important aspect that may be contributing to your troubles is footwear. You may not be wearing the best winter boots for plantar fasciitis.
Why Does the Right Winter Footwear Matter?
It’s highly likely that you’ve worn flip flops or sandals more often than you wore shoes during summer. Of course, flip flops and sandals are more comfortable during such warm months. They are easy to slip-on and they are open, allowing your toes to breathe. However, most flip flops and other sandals offer no support for your feet. They can even add strain to your muscles and tendons with each step you take.
So after wearing open-toed footwear during the warmer months, you then have to wear a different type of shoe during winter – which is boots. This will require some time before your feet can fully adust. So the best way to lessen the pain and discomfort is to get the right winter shoes for you.
Most people don’t consider the quality of their winter boots. They often end up with a pair that doesn’t offer support to keep their plantar fasciitis at bay. However, it is during this time that you need to carefully select your footwear since you’d be already dealing with the snow outdoors. You need to find a good pair of boots to avoid having your foot pain flaring up again.
By wearing the right boots, you can take off the pressure on your plantar. Thus, encouraging it to start repairing itself.
What to Look for in Choosing the Best Winter Boots for Plantar Fasciitis
The best winter boots for individuals with plantar fasciitis has the following features:
1. Cushioned Insoles: Insoles can help provide you the arch and heel support you need. Thus, you need to select boots with thick and cushioned insoles. Or, to make your search easier, find booths with removable insoles so you can simply use specific orthotics or other insoles with more support.
2. Wide Toe Box: This will prevent your toes from being compressed and it will provide your feet more room to breathe.
3. Low Heels: Choose boots with small heels and textured soles as these offer your feet traction. These also help elevate your feet out of the water and snow. You can select boots with heels measuring from ½ inch to 1 inch.
4. Higher Height: Look for winter boots that are higher than your ankles. These types of shoes provide ankle support and stability. Plus, they have more advantages in snow.
5. Lightweight Construction: You can reduce the strain in your plantar by reducing the weight it carries. Thus, look for a lightweight pair.
Now that you know what look for in choosing the best winter boots for plantar fasciitis, it’s time to shop around. To help make your search easier, we have listed down the best pairs that offer the most support and warmth for the cold months.
Top 5 Winter Boots for Plantar Fasciitis
Our Top Pick For Women: Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden II Boot
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This Columbia Women's Ice Maiden II boot features Techlite lightweight midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as Omni-Grip advanced...
- HANDY FEATURES: This women's winter boot is crafted of waterproof leather and textile construction and 200g insulation to keep you warm and dry during the worst of weather.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Ice Maiden II winter boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- FEMININE STYLE: This women's waterproof winter boot delivers a lux, feminine look that's versatile and stylish. Fit tip-it runs true to size. Features seam sealed membrane bootie construction
The Columbia Ice Maiden II is a great pair of boots for women. It is waterproof and offers protection from the elements. Also, it can keep up with every step you take thanks to its advanced traction and supportive midsole. Plus, it’s very stylish and good looking too.
This pair features a Techlite lightweight midsole and superior cushioning that provides you long-lasting comfort. It also has an Omni-Grip rubber sole that can save you from slipping. For warmth, it’s complete with 200g insulation.
Our Top Pick For Men: Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot
- Removable Insole. Breathable mesh lining
- 5mm lug depth ; Molded nylon arch shank ; Bellows, closed-cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out ;Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
- Merrell M Select FIT.ECO+ blended EVA contoured footbed with added zonal arch and heel support
Merrell is a popular brand all over the world and is known for its high-performing footwear. And the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Hiking Boot is no different. It has firm Vibram soles with breathable mesh lining. But more importantly, it has an Eco+ blended EVA-contoured footbed with added heel support and zonal arch. It also has air cushions in the heels, allowing it to absorb shock and add stability.
Moab stands for “Mother Of All Boots” and this pair deserves to be called such. This pair of boots can last for a long time and will give you no problems even if you use it daily.
Salomon Men’s Quest 4D 3 GTX Backpacking Boots
- WATERPROOF BACKPACKING SHOES: Designed for maximum traction on mixed terrain, the Quest 4D 3 hiking boot features our 4D Advanced Chassis to help guide the foot & reduce fatigue, even on the roughest...
- ANY PATH YOUR WAY: Light & cushioned with running shoe adapted technology, yet supportive enough for backpacking, the Quest 4D waterproof hiking boot helps you get to the next camp site with happier...
- ADVENTURE AWAITS: Whether you love a local day hike or hitting the trails for a multi-day adventure, Salomon makes innovative hiking & backpacking shoes & boots for men & women to help you go the...
- TIME TO PLAY: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes & gear for kids, men & women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event!
The Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX offers comfortable footwear that’s perfect for the winter season. It is waterproof and designed with maximum traction. It also features the company’s 4D advanced chassis that can help guide your foot and reduce fatigue even when walking on the roughest terrain.
This pair of winter boots for men is lightweight and features cushions similar to running shoes. It can accommodate those with wide feet and it also has enough support if you need to use it for backpacking and other outdoor activities.
Sorel Women’s Tofino II
- 10.5in / 26.5cm
- Plush faux fur accents these quilted canvas Sorel boots. Ostrich-embossed leather covers the waterproof shell and cozy fleece lines the interior. Rubber herringbone sole.
Here’s a great pair of boots to have especially for those winter adventures. The Sorel Women’s Tofino II are cozy, warm, and has a removable EVA cushioned insole that can adequately support your heels and arches. However, for more support, you can replace or add your custom orthotics.
This is a good looking pair of boots for women and it’s breathable, waterproof, and winter-ready. It also comes with a 100g insulation and microfleece lining to keep your feet warm and dry. Furthermore, it has a wide style design, making it more capable to accommodate any foot type.
Sorel Women’s Glacy Explorer
- molded rubber outsole
- removable molded eva footbed
- fleece topcover
- fleece lining
While the Sorel Women’s Glacy Explorer doesn’t have heels, it does make up for it with its comfortability. You can walk all day with this pair of lightweight boots without feeling the pain in your feet. It also has a fleece top cover and fleece lining to help keep you warm.
This pair of winter boots have removable molded EVA footbeds. So if the support it provides isn’t enough, you can also use your orthotics. To top it all off, the Glacy Explorer looks very aesthetically pleasing as well.