Last Updated on October 17, 2020
OUR TOP PICK: Best Winter Coats for Chicago
We have found the best winter coats for Chicago and our top pick is the Canada Goose Men’s Expedition Parka Coat for men and The North Face Women’s Arctic Parka for women. These two stylish winter coats are made from high-quality materials to provide the keep you warm when you go outside the streets of Chicago.
Read on for more information, or click the link below to read more reviews on Amazon.
Here are the Best Winter Coats that we have included in our review
Winters in Chicago can vary greatly. For some weeks, it can be cold but free from snow. Some days, the sun may take a peek. Others, it may rain. However, some weeks can also be pretty rough with many days reaching freezing low temperatures. During this season, snowfall is also very frequent. It snows so much that it can go for several days in a month. You can also expect snowstorms once in a while. However, while Chicago winters can be harsh at times, they can also be manageable with the right winter coat.
But with the many brands, selections, and designs today, it can be difficult to find which one suits you and the Chicago winter best. So to help you out and to narrow down your options, we have made a list of the best winter coats for Chicago. But before that, here are a few tips to remember when choosing which one to buy.
What to Look for in the Best Winter Coats for Chicago
You need to check the label to see the material. This will give you an idea of whether or not the coat is waterproof or at least water-resistant. For instance, polyester is not 100% waterproof, but it can protect you against everyday situations. Gore-Tex materials are waterproof and breathable. This is more capable of keeping you dry against rain and snow.
However, many other man-made fabrics can prevent water from penetrating too. This includes viscose, polyamide, and acrylic.
Since winters in Chicago can be harsh, you need to choose coats with insulation. This will keep you warm and comfortable even during extreme weather conditions. Down and synthetic insulations are both good as they can provide the heat you need. However, if you consider durability, best go for down insulation.
Longer coats provide you with more warmth and protection, especially during a snowstorm. Thus, look for models that can cover at least your hip area.
Pockets, Hood, and Zippers
All these features are crucial in protecting you from the snow and the cold wind of Chicago.
Top 5 Winter Coats for Chicago Weather
Best For Men: Canada Goose Men’s Expedition Parka Coat
- Coyote fur ruff surrounding an adjustable tunnel hood, with an adjustable bracing wire for superior protection in high wind conditions
- A multitude of pockets allow for convenient storage options
- Keep the cold wind out with an elasticized nylon snowskirt, drawcord waist, storm flap over center -front zipper, and heavy-duty, recessed, flexible, rib-knit cuffs
If you live in Chicago, you are probably familiar with Canada Goose. They are very popular in the city even with their hefty price tags. There’s no wonder why since these super-warm coats are perfect for the freezing weather. One great example is the Canada Goose Expedition Parka Coat for men.
Designed for scientists working in Antarctica, this is an extreme weather parka that can provide you the warmth and protection you need while in Chicago. It has a relaxed fit and has a mid-thigh length. There’s also a waist drawcord so you can customize the fit and keep the heat inside.
More importantly, this coat has a 625-fill white duck down insulation with an Arctic-Tech nylon shell. Thus, making it not only durable but water-resistant as well. Overall, this is our top pick for the best winter coats for Chicago due to its ability to keep you dry in extreme and cold conditions.
Best For Women: The North Face Women’s Arctic Parka
- Features of this item include: Faux Fur, Hiking, Outdoor, Winter, Winter Weather
If you are looking for a long coat that reaches your thigh, the North Face Arctic Parka is a great choice. It has 550-fill down insulation and 150 grams of Heatseeker Eco. It also has a DryVent 2L shell, making it waterproof and breathable. So you can stay warm and comfortable no matter how cold the temperature in Chicago gets.
This coat has a front zipper and hook-and-loop closure. It has a removable hood and a removable faux-fur ruff. There are also covered, welt, and secured external hand pockets as well as a secure-zip internal pocket.
Arc’teryx Therme Parka Men’s
- THERME PARKA MEN'S - Sometimes the urban landscape requires alpine performance.
- DOWN - Highly efficient natural insulation that compacts well and offers excellent warmth to weight.
- GORE-TEX - Waterproof, windproof and breathable textiles that offer fully protective environmental shelter.
- LIFESTYLE - Technical outdoor functionality, comfort and durability brought to everyday designs.
For men who want to stay sleek and stylish while fully warm and dry, the Arc’teryx Therme Parka is perfect. It has 750-fill down insulation, Gore-Text membrane, and fully taped seams. Thus, making it windproof, waterproof, and breathable. These materials also ensure that the coat can last for a very long time.
The Arc’teryx Therme Parka has a very urban style to it. But other than its handsome design, it’s also very functional with an insulated hood, secure-zip pockets, chin guard, tall collar, and a front zipper.
Canada Goose Women’s Shelburne Parka Coat
For women who are in the search for the right Canada Goose coat, consider the Shelburne Parka. This is the perfect winter garment for those frigid days and when you need the most protection. With a temperature rating of -10 to -20 degrees Celcius, this coat can keep you warm and stylish through winter.
Featuring 625-fill white duck down insulation and an Arctic-Tech (85% polyester and 15% cotton) outer shell, the Shelburne Parka Coat can keep you warm and dry even in extreme conditions. Thus, making it perfect for those snowstorms and harsh winds in Chicago.
Alpine North Women’s Vegan Down Winter Coat
- DOWN ALTERNATIVE: At Alpine North, we fill our long vegan down parka with Vegan Down. Vegan Down is an eco-friendly & animal friendly insulation alternative to goose or duck feather down made from...
- TEMPERATURE RATING: This coat is rated for temperatures down to -22° Fahrenheit / -30° Celsius. This comfortable coat will protect you from even the harshest, coldest, and wettest weather. It...
- MULTIPLE POCKETS: You’ll have plenty of space to store everything in this roomy coat! With multiple pockets, you can keep your wallet, keys, cell phone, and other possessions secure. There are 4...
- ATTRACTIVE, STYLISH APPEARANCE: During the winter, it’s typical to bundle up, but that doesn’t mean you have to look bulky. Our lightweight, long coat will give you a slender appearance with its...
If you are not yet ready to spend $300 to more than $1,000 for a coat, then here’s the coat for you. The Alpine North Women’s Down Winter Coat is less pricey but offers ample protection against the harsh winter in Chicago. It doesn’t use any duck or goose feathers as well, making it a better choice if you’re a vegan.
This coat has a temperature rating of up to -30 degrees Celsius (-22 degrees Fahrenheit). It features a zipper closure, 6 pockets, and a stylish design to beat. With this, guaranteed you’d stay comfortable even during the harshest, wettest, and coldest weather conditions.
With these coats, you are sure to stay stylish and well-protected when the wind in Chicago starts to pick up. Just remember, choosing the right coat is as important as getting the right fit. You need the proper size to make sure there will be no gaps for the cold air to seep into. You also need enough space to wear layers underneath.