Last Updated on October 17, 2020
OUR TOP PICK – Best Winter Coats for Boston
We have found the best winter coats for Boston and our top pick is the Canada Goose Women’s Kensington Parka Coat for women and The North Face Bedford Men’s Down Jacket for men. They’re both stylish jackets that will keep you warm no matter how cold it is in Boston.
Read on for more information, or click the link below to read more reviews on Amazon.
Here are the Best Winter Coats that we have included in our review
Boston is a pretty great city with delicious food, great beer, quality education, and rich culture. But aside from all these, the city is also known for its unpredictable winters. Some years can be significantly mild, and others can be fairly snow-free. However, there are also times when the city receives a ridiculously amount of snow.
For instance, it was unusually warm with almost no snow from 2019 to 2020. However, in 2015, Boston set the record for the snowiest season as it accumulated 108.6 inches of snow. Storms were coming one after the other, with each leaving an incredible amount of snow with them. Not to mention the chilling wind that whipped down the street and piercing through your clothes.
That said, Boston winters can be fun and lovely. But they can be very harsh as well. When they are, you need to be prepared so you won’t get left in the cold – literally. Thus, you will need the right clothes. To help you out, here’s our list of the best winter coats for Boston.
What You Need to Know When Choosing a Winter Coat
Before we go over our list of the best winter coats for Boston, here’s a couple of things you need to know about:
- Insulation matters: For most years, temperatures can drop to below freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit) at night time, and this can stay throughout the day. Thus, you’d need a warm coat with sufficient insulation to stay comfortable, especially when going outdoors. You can choose between synthetic or down insulation. If you’re on a budget, synthetic insulation is a good choice. If you’re considering durability, best go with down.
- Zipper closure, hood, and pockets: These are all important features of a good winter coat. Even when you are wearing winter gloves and a hat, having pockets to hide your hand away and a hood to cover your head can protect you from the cold winds. A zipper closure can help you with this too.
- The length makes a big difference: Generally, the longer a coat is, the more warmth it provides. So when the harsh winter weather in Boston hits, you’ll need a coat that can at least reach your hips.
5 Best Winter Coats for Boston
Best for Women: Canada Goose Women’s Kensington Parka Coat
- Long-thigh length provides maximum protection
- Removable, 2-way adjustable, down hood for maximum versatility
- Four sets of outer pockets offer great storage options as well as a place to keep your hands warm
- Embrace the option of a slimmer fit with exterior, adjustable straps at the waist
There’s a reason why Canada Goose has been a very popular brand across the country. Once you try one, you will immediately understand what’s the hype about. And if you are looking for a good one for women, check out the Kensington Parka Coat. It can perform well even in subfreezing weather conditions, and you will look great too.
Featuring down insulation, polyester and cotton shell, and a nylon lining, this coat can keep you warm and toasty during your winters in Boston. It also has several outer pockets, a removable hood, and zipper closure. On top of that, it’s thigh length. Thus, offering you maximum protection.
Best for Men: The North Face Bedford Men’s Down Jacket
- 75% Down hooded parka.Zip/snap closure. Multiply pockets.Removable fur. Adjustable hood.North Face Logo. Authentic
The North Face is another popular brand in Boston, and it’s no wonder why since they offer great winter coats at a more affordable price than Canada Goose. This Bedford Men’s Down Jacket, for example, can provide you the warmth and comfort you need to perform your daily activities. It has a 75% down insulation, zip and snap closure, and multiple pockets. You can also easily adjust the hood or remove the fur.
Furthermore, this coat is very stylish, and it is available in 4 colors. Thus, you can choose whichever fits your preference best. While this isn’t as warm as Canada Goose coats, it can protect you even in freezing temperatures.
Great Value for the Price: The North Face Downtown Parka
- STAY DRY. Made with a DryVent shell, this parka features a Durable Water-Repellent (DWR) Finish helps keep you dry when rain and snow strike.
- DOWN INSULATION. Goose down offers superior warmth in the cold. We test our down's loftiness, moisture resistance and loft retention after compression. Responsible Down Standard (RDS) certified, a...
- STANDARD FIT. This standard fit women's parka hits at the mid thigh and features a V-shaped, drop-tail split hem for extra coverage in the back.
- CONVERTIBLE DESIGN. A removable hood and removable faux-fur trim allow you to customize your coverage or look. A tall stand collar provides added protection.
Here’s another great North Face coat, but this time, for women. The Downtown Parka features down insulation, a DryVent shell, and a Durable Water-Repellent (DWR) finish. Thus, making it fully capable of keeping you dry and warm when the infamous Boston snow starts to fall.
This coat has a removable hood, zip closure, multiple pockets, removable faux-fur, and a tall stand collar, which gives you added protection from the cold wind. It also hits your mid-thigh, and there’s a drop-tail split hem at the back for extra coverage. On top of that, it is under $200.
Best for Extreme Weather Conditions: Canada Goose Men’s Langford Parka
- Slim Tailored Fit
- Removable coyote fur ruff surrounding a removable 1-way adjustable tunnel hood (vertically)
- Two high fleece-lined hand-warmer pockets
- Centre back length: 36.5'' / 92.71cm
During the more extreme winter weather in Boston, it is best to have a gear that can offer you the most protection. And that’s what the Canada Goose Langford Parka does. It is slightly longer than other similar parkas from the brand, offering better leg protection. Also, it has a 2-way adjustable insulated hood, removable fur ruff, and zipper closure. In terms of pockets, this coat has 4 outside and 2 inside.
But what makes this coat better than the others is its ability to make you feel very warm. It has a temperature rating of -15 to -25 degrees Celcius. Additionally, it features the company’s Arctic Technology, making this coat perfect for cold climates. This tech also makes the Langford Parka water-resistant and durable.
Great Value for the Price: Alpine North Men’s Vegan Down Winter Puffer Coat
- DOWN ALTERNATIVE: At Alpine North, we fill our Men’s winter outerwear and puffer coats with Vegan Down. Vegan Down is an eco-friendly & animal friendly insulation alternative to goose or duck...
- TEMPERATURE RATING: This coat is rated for temperatures down to -22° Fahrenheit / -30° Celsius. This comfortable coat will protect you from even the harshest, coldest, and wettest weather. It...
- MULTIPLE POCKETS: You’ll have plenty of space to store everything in this roomy puffer coat! With multiple pockets, you can keep your wallet, keys, cell phone, and other possessions secure. There...
- ATTRACTIVE, STYLISH APPEARANCE: During the winter, it’s typical to bundle up, but that doesn’t mean you have to look bulky. Our lightweight coat will give you a tall and lean appearance with its...
If you are looking for an affordable winter coat for men, the Alpine North Winter Puffer Coat is a great choice. In under $160, you can stay warm and dry during Boston’s cold days. This is possible with the product’s synthetic insulation.
This coat is rated for temperatures down to -22 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has a polyester shell, making it water-resistant. With a zipper closure, multiple pockets, and a hood, the Alpine North Puffer Coat has what you need to stay comfortable in Boston. It’s modern and stylish too.
As a guide, if you are planning to live in Boston for quite a while, it is best to invest in a quality coat that can last for a long time.