OUR TOP PICK – Best Winter Boots for College Students
We have found the best winter boots for college students, and our top pick is the Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden II Boot for women and the Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Pathmaker CP Hiking Boot for men. Both are stylish and comfortable winters boots you can wear to school to keep your feet warm and protected against the cold climate especially for those who go to college in New York or Chicago.
Read on for more information, or click the link below to read more reviews on Amazon.
Here are the Best Winter Boots that we have included in our review
Winter can be challenging for college students, especially if you have to face thick snow every time you are going to and from classes. This can be even harder without the right footwear. So when the temperature drops and the snow starts falling, it’s time to swap your lightweight sneakers for functional winter boots.
However, when it comes to choosing winter boots, college students tend to look for more than just function. You might also consider the trend, style, and whether or not the boots are “cool.” Thus, making it more difficult to find the perfect pair. So to help you out, here’s a list of the best winter boots for college students.
Top 5 Winter Boots for College Students
Best for Women: Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden II Boot
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: The waterproof leather upper features our seem-sealed membrane bootie construction, and our TECHLITE lightweight midsole, which provides long-lasting comfort with superior...
- STYLE MEETS FUNCTION: The perfect combination of function and style, with its quilted ankle support. You'll find plenty of flex in the boot that also looks great wherever you go.
- ALL WEATHER TRACTION: Our signature Omni-GRIP non-marking traction rubber outsole providing versatility for all winter wear without worry during indoor use.
- COZY WARMTH: It features a soft faux fur collar, reinforced lacing aglets, excellent 200g insulation, and leather reinforced toe and heels.
Whether you have to walk in snow, slush, or rain, the Columbia Ice Maiden II Boots can certainly keep your feet dry and comfortable. Made with a synthetic woven textile upper, these boots can keep water from seeping in. It also features a soft faux fur tongue and collar lining and 200g insulation, providing you with excellent warmth.
The Columbia Women’s Ice Maiden II Boots are among the most popular winter boots on Amazon. It has over 11,240 reviews and a 4.7 out of 5-star rating. So it is safe to say that it can perform well. Other than that, its feminine look also makes it stylish and perfect for college students.
Best for Men: Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Pathmaker CP Hiking Boot
- boost is our most responsive cushioning ever: The more energy you give, the more you get
- Breathable climawarm keeps your feet warm and dry; Prim aloft insulation material for more warmth, even in wet conditions
- Synthetic upper for lightweight durability; Metal D-rings and boot hooks; Soft moulded collar
- Lightweight EVA midsole for long-term cushioning; EVA heel frame for stability; Comfortable textile lining
For men who don’t like the look or feel of winter boots, then a model from one of the most popular sneaker companies in the world may just be what you need. These Adidas Outdoor Terrex Pathmaker CP Boots are great if you love the company’s Ultraboost soles. While made for hiking, these boots are also ideal for daily use.
Featuring PrimaLoft insulation and breathable Climawarm technology, these boots can keep you warm even in wet and cold conditions. They also offer an unmatched grip so you can confidently walk on slippery grounds. Furthermore, these boots have a seam-sealed Climaproof construction. This is the company’s weather protection technology, keeping you safe from wind, snow, and rain.
Best for Traction: Sorel Women’s Caribou Waterproof Boot for Winter
- Boots for Women: These seam-sealed winter boots are designed with a waterproof nubuck leather upper, making them perfect for cold weather
- Winter Boots: Keep your feet warm & comfortable all winter with winter boots that feature a Sherpa pile snow cuff to keep your feet warm in the snow
- Ideal Snow Boots: These full-grain suede boots are ideal for everything from shoveling to running errands in snowy weather
- Style & Comfort: These snow boots have a heel height of 1" and a platform height of 1/2" so you can walk comfortably in the snow; the 2.5mm bonded felt frost plug keeps you warm
Here are boots that are specifically designed for the urban lifestyle. The Sorel Caribou Boots can keep you warm, comfortable, and stylish even on the coldest days. But most of all, it can provide you with great traction. These boots have an outsole traction system where slip-resistant materials are combined with non-loading lug patterns. As a result, you will have a better grip on snow and ice.
While these boots don’t have your usual insulation materials, it does come with a removable and washable 9mm insulated footbed. It also has a waterproof leather upper material and faux fur, making it capable of keeping your feet warm and toasty even in heavy snow.
Best for Weather Resistance: Sorel Men’s Cheyanne II Winter Boot
- WATERPROOF BOOT: Made with waterproof full grain leather or suede and features a seam-sealed waterproof construction; Ideal for cold weather outdoor activities
- INSULATED WARMTH: Features 200g insulation and microfleece lining that keeps you warm as the temperatures drop
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT: Removable EVA footbed with microfleece top cover that's comfortable all day long in cold, wet winter weather
- GRIPPY OUTSOLE: Handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell with herringbone outsole gives you a little extra traction in icy conditions
Here’s another great pair of boots from Sorel, the Cheyanne II Winter Boots for men. These are built to help you withstand the cold and wet winter weather. They feature 200g insulation with microfleece lining, which keeps you warm as the temperature drops. They are also waterproof and made with grippy outsoles. Thus, you can stay safe and dry in icy conditions.
The Sorel Cheyanne II Winter Boots offer both functionality and style. Also, this model is available in 15 colors, so you have a lot of options to choose from. Take note, however, that these boots run small based on customer reviews. So when ordering, make sure to get a larger size than what you usually wear.
Best for Everyday Comfort: Adidas Outdoor Women’s Terrex Choleah Padded CP Snow Boot
- Primaloft 100g insulation
- Climaproof Waterproof upper
- Lightweight EVA midsole
- High Traction Rubber
If you like the feel of sneakers but are in need of everyday winter boots for going to class, then consider the Adidas Outdoor Terrex Choleah Padded Snow Boots for women. They can keep your feet warm and comfortable while making sure you are in style. They also feature the company’s breathable Climaproof protection, which keeps you dry in cold and wet conditions. Furthermore, they are made with PrimaLoft insulation for maximum warmth.
The Adidas Outdoor Terrex Choleah Padded CP Boots offer excellent traction with their rubber outsoles. With these, you can maximize your footing on dry and wet surfaces. This model is also available in 5 styles, so you can choose according to your taste.
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Winter Boots for College Students
Sure, the overall look will play a huge role in what winter boots you will purchase. However, always remember that the technical features are equally important. So aside from the style and “cool” factor, there are a few important features you should look out for when choosing winter boots. And they include the following:
Along your way to class, especially if you’re off-campus, it’s highly likely that you will have to walk on icy terrain. Thus, you will need boots with excellent traction and grip to prevent slipping and falling. So when choosing which boots to purchase, look for those with deep treads and grippy soles.
Another factor to look for is your boots’ ability to protect you from the weather. This includes snow, rain, and wind. If you want to keep your feet dry and warm through the day, look for waterproof boots. To make it easier for you, check the materials.
Usually, leather boots are waterproof, but they are not very breathable. Boots with nylon materials are more breathable, but they are not so waterproof. Most times, they are treated with a waterproof coating like PU and DWR to repel water. On the other hand, most companies today use special fabrics like Gore-Tex, Windtex, ClimaProof, and other names to keep their boots waterproof and breathable.
Having insulation in your boots can help you stay comfortable and warm no matter how extreme the temperature gets. However, you have to make sure you are getting the right insulation weight, depending on the weather conditions and your activities. Here’s a guide to help you decide which weight to go with:
- 200g: best for cool temperatures with little to no activity, or in cold weather with high activity level
- 400g: best for cold weather with moderate activity
- 600g: best for cold conditions and low activity
- 800g: recommended for very cold temperatures and low activity levels
- 1000g and more: only advised for extreme weather conditions with little to no activity
That said, as a college student who will be sitting in class for a long period, it’s best to stay within the 200g or 400g level. This is to prevent getting your feet too warm.