Last Updated on February 11, 2021
The winter season brings in additional responsibilities and changes both in and out of your home. For one, it can cause very low humidity when the heater is running, which is not good for indoor plants. See, low humidity can dehydrate your plants and make them wilt quickly. Luckily, you can prevent this by using a humidifier.
However, with the many models available today, it can be difficult to choose which one to buy. So to help you out and keep your plants healthy and happy during the colder months, we have made a list of the best humidifier for plants.
Top 5 Humidifiers for Plants
1. TaoTronics Humidifiers 4L Cool Mist Ultrasonic – Best for Small Areas
- 4L Tank Capacity, Works for All Night: Over a gallon of water lasts for 12-30 hour working time on a full tank; designed to humidify the air in rooms up to 10-30 m² / 107-322 ft², bedroom, nursery,...
- Informative LED display: Built-in Humidistat tells you the current RH; Easily choose between three mist levels; Set your desired humidity level, 40-60% is recommended
- Nightlight & Sleep Mode: Choose to turn on the nightlight, or enter sleep mode to shut off LED screen for a discreet sleep at night
- Safe to Use: Automatically shuts off when water runs out; Microporous cartridge filters the water from micro-organisms and bad odor, we recommend you change filters every 4-6 months
|Tank Capacity||4 liters|
|Recommended Room Area||107 to 322 square feet|
|Working Time||12-30 hours|
|Noise Level||Less than 38 dB|
If you are looking for a humidifier for a small room, here’s the perfect unit for you. It has a 4-liter tank capacity and can last as long as 12 to 30 hours. It is safe to use and automatically turns off when the water runs out. It’s also incredibly silent, producing less than 38 dB of noise. Thus, making it a great choice for any room in your home.
This humidifier offers three mist levels, so you can set your desired humidity. It also has a built-in humidistat that tells you the current RH, a nightlight, and a sleep mode. But more importantly, this unit has tons of positive reviews from plant owners. There’s even one who said:
I got this just for my plants! My monstera d seems to enjoy it. I keep this humidifier inside my room with the other plants that like humidity. The humidifier has a big opening, so I’m able to clean the inside more thoroughly. You can adjust the level of humidity. Works good for my king sized room.
2. Homech Cool Mist Humidifier – Runner Up for Small Areas
- Quiet Operation for Large Room Use: Ultrasonic humidifiers are incredibly silent, reduces noise to 26dB; perfect gift for Mother's Day, and for your baby, a disturbance-free sleep at night
- 4L Tank Capacity & Mist Adjustable: Over 1.06 gallon of water lasts for 12-50 hour working time on a full tank; designed to humidify the air in rooms up to 20-40 m² / 215-430 ft²
- 95mm Water Inlet: Allows you to refill and clean the machine with ease and convenience. There won’t be any spill when filling, and you can fit your hand into the tank to clean it thoroughly
- 2ft Mist Height: This black cool mist humidifier designed with 360°degree rotating nozzle at a height of up to 24 inches ensures an even level of humidity distributed in your home and not easy to wet...
|Tank Capacity||4 liters|
|Recommended Room Area||215 to 430 square feet|
|Working Time||12-50 hours|
|Noise Level||Less than 26 dB|
The Homech Cool Mist Humidifier is slightly bigger than the TaoTronics 4L Cool Mist, making it more able to cover a larger area. It is also quieter, and it can last around 12 to 50 hours on a single tank. Furthermore, it is easy to clean and automatically shuts down when the water tank is empty.
This is an easy-to-use humidifier that allows you to set the humidity through a handy dial knob. It’s filter-free as well, so you can save money on filter replacements. Moreover, similar to the TaoTronics, the Homech has positive reviews from people who used it for their plants. Just recently, a customer shared:
Love this humidifier! 10/10 would recommend. Sleek and compact, our plants are loving it!
3. Honeywell HCM350B Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Medium-Sized Areas
- Cool Mist Humidifier: Add cool moisture to dry air with this quiet humidifier. The 1 gallon tank runs up to 24 hours on low, making this humidifier great for bedrooms & medium sized rooms in your...
- Filtered Cooling Moisture: Evaporative technology blows moisture off a wicking filter, helping it evaporative into the air quickly. It’s not possible to over-humidify with evaporative technology...
- Honeywell Humidifiers: Humidity levels in your home between 40-60% can make the air feel warmer & improve your breathing comfort, sleeping, nasal congestion & dry skin. Dry air can cause static...
- Humidifiers for Babies, Children, Adults: Humidifiers diffuse moisture into the air, and many find that a humidifier for the home, bedroom or nursery becomes an essential part of a good nights sleep...
|Tank Capacity||4 liters|
|Recommended Room Area||Medium-sized rooms (350 to 450 square feet)|
|Working Time||Up to 24 hours|
|Noise Level||25% quieter than other evaporative humidifiers|
Here’s a unit for medium-sized rooms. The Honeywell Cool Mist Humidifier can run up to 24 hours on one gallon of water on the low setting. Compared to the previous humidifiers this is a bigger unit that can accommodate a larger space.
The Honeywell Humidifier has 3 different speed settings, so you can choose the ideal moisture output to keep your plants happy and alive. The speed also affects the sound level it produces. Furthermore, this unit is easy to fill and clean. More importantly, it is efficient and can kill up to 99.9% of water-bred bacteria, germs, spores, and mold.
Take note, however, that this is an evaporative humidifier. Thus, it makes more noise compared to ultrasonic units. But the good news is that the Honeywell is 25% quieter than other evaporative models.
4. TaoTronics Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier 6L – Best for Large Areas
- WARM & COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: The Air humidifier provides both cool mist and warm mist (550ml/hr output, 1.2m mist height) to keep your sinuses and skin hydrated, perfect humidifier for bedroom, baby...
- AUTOMATIC HUMIDITY MONITORING: The ultrasonic humidifier will automatically work to maintain comfortable indoor humidity (55%-65%) based on the environmental humidity. The cool mist humidifier will...
- EASY TO CLEAN & ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER: Top-Fill Humidifier with a wide opening makes it a breeze to refill or thoroughly clean the empty tank with a wet cloth; drip essential oils into the tray to...
- PERFECT HUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE ROOM: Extra-large 6L/1.58Gal water tank produces up to 60hrs of continuous cool mist to moisturize dry air in a 753ft² / 70m² room, frees you from refilling water...
|Tank Capacity||6 liters|
|Recommended Room Area||430 to 753 square feet|
|Working Time||Up to 60 hours|
|Noise Level||36 dB|
Now, if you are planning to use a humidifier for a large area, the TaoTronics Warm and Cool is a perfect choice. It can provide you with both cool mist or warm mist, making it fully capable of keeping your indoor environment comfortable in any weather or season. It is also great for large rooms thanks to its extra-large 6-liter water tank, which can last up to 60 hours of cool mist in a 753 square feet room.
The TaoTronics 6L Humidifier is easy to use and convenient. It has a handy remote control, which you can use to adjust mist level, mist temperatures, and humidity levels. You can also use it to set the timer and put it in sleep mode or auto mode, all while sitting comfortably on your couch.
This humidifier has also received a lot of positive reviews from plant owners. For one, there’s a customer who commented:
My lemon trees are in paradise with this humidifier. In the past during over winterization, they would heavily drop their leaves due to dry indoor environment. This year, they are so happy that they are exploding with blossoms indoors. My plants are happy, and so is my skin.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Humidifier for Plants
To determine which humidifier to buy, here are the factors you should first consider.
1. Room Size
The first thing you have to consider when buying a humidifier is the size of the room you are growing your plants. Depending on its size, your humidifier should be able to cover every area and serve all your room’s needs. It should provide enough moisture for a large area and avoid producing too much in a small room.
So if you are looking to use a humidifier for a small apartment with 300 square feet or less, you have to buy a small humidifier. For 350 to 450 square feet area, a medium-sized unit is more ideal. On the other hand, for any room above 550 square feet, you will need to look out for a large humidifier.
2. Type of Humidifier
The best humidifier for plants is either ultrasonic or evaporative. An ultrasonic humidifier does not have any operating noise, and it uses very little energy. Its surfaces do neat heat up as well, making it safe when you have kids or pets around. The same goes for an evaporative humidifier. It is safe to use since it does not generate heat to create humidity. But no matter what you choose, make sure that it is a portable unit that you can quickly move around.
3. Water Tank Size
Since you are looking for a plant humidifier, a unit with a higher dispense mist rate is more ideal. So look for a humidifier with a larger water tank size, so you don’t have to fill it too often.
Owning a humidifier means you have to face a few maintenance tasks. This can include cleaning the unit regularly and changing filters. Some may be noisier than you’d expect.
However, if you prefer a unit that is easy to clean and is low in maintenance, an evaporative humidifier is your best choice. On the other hand, if you are looking for a humidifier with little to no operating noise and which you can use overnight, an ultrasonic is better.
While the best humidifier for plants is important in supplying humidity, it can cause more problems if you put it in the wrong place. For example, if it is too close to your plants or if it is facing them, it can lead to your plants wilting more. So choose the position of your humidifier carefully.
If this post helped you figure out what you should do with your indoor plants during winter season, maybe you’d be interested to know what you could do with your lawn during winter and when is it too cold to mow your lawn.